Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bathroom Before & After

So this week I thought I would get back to our updates.
I have a few more areas of our house that I haven't had a chance to share yet.

So here goes.

Here is our bathroom redo.
I mentioned this bathroom way back when...you can see it here.

before
I wish our before shot showed the colors that were originally here.
A yellowish beige with a green trim.  It really wasn't good.
Unfortunately when we first moved in I didn't have the blog yet.
The old mirror was greenish with a brushed gold,
very ornate (and plastic) and NOT in a old and charming way.
after
So this bathroom had your typical 80s bad oak bathroom vanity as you can see.
Ughh....and gold nobs too double ughhh....
So I went for a fairly frugal approach.
New paint for the walls - Behr Granite Grey -$25
 (one of my favorite colors in the entire house to this day:)
2 Coats of Primer to the vanity
2 Coats of a Behr White paint - $0 (I had it left over from painting our trim work.)
New Light Fixture $89 Lowes.
New nobs for the vanity $16 Lowes.
The mirror was a wedding gift from Dwellings.
 We also updated the tub surround,
which I did't photo - it's a basic white fiberglass $100 Lowes.
Towel bars $30 Lowes.
And added a new shower curtain Target - $10
Total bathroom redo $270.



What do you think? 
Definitely presentable to our guests.

Does anyone have an opinion about mixing hardware?

I go back and forth with this.
I hate when things are too matchy matchy.
I love the cottage look of mixing it up a little.
I tried it here as you can see without getting too crazy mixing the different finishes.
Tips:
Throughout our house the light switch covers and plug in covers are all the brushed bronze.
I think that is part of the key for me, keep it consistant.
I pulled in the brushed bronze with the light fixture as well.
Then added pops of nickel in the vanity knobs which left me able to
save the faucet instead of changing it out and saving $ while keeping the vanity consistant again
and lastly adding the nickel towel bars pulls the two finishes onto the walls.


I'd love to hear your thoughts on mixing hardware finishes.
I'm contemplating these options in our next house
(even though we are not even started yet) too and I really want
to make sure I pull it off right throughout the house. 
Especially the bath and kitchens.

Linking up to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Southern Hospitality
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Perfectly Imperfect
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest
French Country Cottage
Funky Junk Interiors
House of Hepworths
The DIY Show Off
















Roomspiration

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic job! The bathroom looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - so creative and beautiful.. Love it..Hi there, I found ya via blog hop and had to stop in and say hello, LOVE all your creativity and space here.. Excited to get to share in more blog fun reads and inspiration from ya.. I'm officially following ya with smiles.... Hope you can swing in and say hello sometime :)) I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Carrie! What a gorgeous transformation! I love it all! Beautiful mirror.

    Thanks so much for sharing your transformation! It's nice to "e-meet" you and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous redo! Love the mirror!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, welcome to blogging I see you are very new. I host a newbie party every Monday and would love to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This transformation is fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!!! and I LUV luv the MIRROR!! wow so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful bathroom. That mirror is so fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous- love how it came out. The mirror is charming too~ would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how it all turned out - but that mirror is AMAZING. So lucky of you to receive it as a gift - it looks like it cost a pretty penny (but worth every dime!)

    (new follower here!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely redo and loving that gray paint too :)

    Smiles, from NW Illinois
    ~Suzanne
    Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed's Linky Party today

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thank you all so much for your kind feedback on our bathroom! You all sure know how to make a girl's day:) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! That mirror is to die for.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fresh new look! The white against the grey is a fabo contrast. Mixing the hardware is fine. I don't like it matchy matchy either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi~

    I just came a visiting from HOH. What a LOVELY re-do! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing more information about where you found your mirrow. I tried "googling" it, without success. Thanks so much! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely redo! I can't get enough of the grey and worn wood. I googled "dwellings" but didn't see anything come up that looked like a store. I've never heard of it before, but that mirror is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - this is gorgeous!! That mirror is awesome, and I love the paint color too! I featured you today in my Friday I'm in Love favorites!

    http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2011/10/friday-im-in-love-week-20.html

    - Jenn @ Social Salutations

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beauty!!! I love, love, love yoru bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bathroom is gorgeous! I love your mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and It is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!
    88 89 Dodge B Series Van 5.9L Stage 3 Clutch Kit

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! I appreciate each and every cottage visitor and hope you willll come back again soon! Carrie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...